Surname Connections

Genealogy of the Shire and Maddox surnames and all connected families

Notes


Matches 101 to 150 of 334

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next»

   Notes   Linked to 
101 Doris M. Gatton

Doris M. Gatton, 73, of Angleton passed Tuesday, June 12, 2007, at her Bar X residence. She was born to Harvey L. and Irene Melton on March 15, 1934, in Pulaski County, Arkansas.

Doris worked as a real estate agent in the Brazoria County area. She had a passion for historical events and historical re-enactments. One of her favorite events to participate in was Austin Town. As a member of First United Methodist Church in Brazoria, she was an Alternate Delegate for the Annual Conference. She was named as one of the Unsung Heroes for the Brazosport Facts in 2002. While attending Brazosport College, she was a member of Phi Theta Kappa. She was a member of the Brazoria Heritage Foundation, Brazoria County Historical Museum and Brazoria Historical Museum. For her services for volunteering at Varner-Hogg State Historical Site, she received the 2006 Sam Houston Award. Image magazine featured her in their summer 2006 edition: ?Portraying History: Re-enacting Texas History.? Her unselfish, countless hours of volunteering in the community will never be forgotten.

She is preceded in death by her parents; and her son, Kevin L. Townsend.

She is survived by her husband of 43 years, Gary D. Gatton Sr. of Angleton; sons, Allen E. Townsend of Cabot, Arkansas, Gary D. Gatton Jr. and spouse, Christy, of Angleton; sister, Dianne Weeks and spouse, Royce, of Cabot, Arkansas; brother-in-law, Joe Gatton of Cleveland, TX; and a host of other relatives and friends.

Funeral services will be Saturday, June 16, 2007, at 10:00 a.m. at First United Methodist Church in Brazoria with Dr. Frank Alegria and the Rev. Peter Cammarano officiating. Burial will follow at Angleton Cemetery.

The family will receive friends on Friday, June 15, 2007, at Dixon Funeral Home in Brazoria from 5 p.m. to

7 p.m.

Active pallbearers will be Gerald Keitel, Dr. Robert Schwebel, Jacque Spearow, Michael Bailey, Stan Murray and Charles Reed.

In lieu of flowers, please make donations to the First United Methodist Church of Brazoria in her memory. 
Melton, Doris Gene (I459)
 
102 Drucilla Louise Adelmann
http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=image&guid=818bc85b-e541-48bd-9c97-bb25efe006c6&tid=1108550&pid=-1912436387 
Adelmann, Drucilla Louise (P2382530909)
 
103 E. A. Shire and Elizabeth May Shepherd Shire came to Grant County in 1902 with their four little boys, the oldest nearly seven years of age: Wesley, Paul, Ivan and Fred, from Annapolis, Illinois, where Mr. Shire had been teaching. He had been born to David and Iva Ann Shire at Annapolis in 1866. Mrs. Shire was born to William and Elizabeth Shepherd in Brown County, Indiana in 1874. Mrs. Shire's brother, William F. Shepherd, had "made the Run" into Oklahoma territory in 1893.

Mr. Shire leased a railroad "immigrant" car in which he came to Jefferson with the family's household goods, furniture, farm implements, livestock, a splendid carriage with fringe and tassels around the top; also a beautiful steel grey team Daisy, a mare, and Duke, a KentuckyTag-Whip stallion. Duke sired hundreds of fine horses in this area and was probably the finest stallion in the Oklahoma territory.

Mrs. Shire and the children visited her mother in Columbus, Indiana, while Mr. Shire went west to find a place for them. She and the boys enjoyed the assistance of the conductor and passengers on the train as they traveled from Indiana to what is known as "The Cherokee Strip." Mr. Shire built a house, five miles north and one mile west of the present site of Nash. He bought a "relinquishment" signed by Theodore Roosevelt, President, of 160 acres, the northeast quarter of Section 17, Coldwater Township. He bought another quarter section across the road north, and leased the school quarter, across the road east. Finally the family moved into the new house. A well, cellar, granary and a smokehouse were added immediately. He built the stable for the milch cows and horses, a hog shed, and a chicken house for the Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Rocks.

Many trees were planted, including an orchard which produced apples, peaches, pears and plums. The land grew maize, kafir, field corn, huge melons and dewberries.

William Shepherd built an attractive house 1 mile south of the Shire farm. His children were Alice, Wilma, Victor and Pearl May.

A teacher/professor/school administrator, Mr. Shire came to Oklahoma territory in his usual working apparel: white shirt with detachable collar, bow tie, cutaway coat, and derby hat. He soon found this to be impractical on the prairie grass plains of "The Territory."

The church was a priority to both Mr. and Mrs. Shire. E. A. had organized a Christian Church in Claflin, Kansas, while he was school administrator there. At Nash, he called together interested persons and on April 25, 1909, a Christian congregation was organized which met in "Harris Hall." The Rev. Zack A. Harris, brother of Mrs. J. J. Brown, became the first pastor. E. A. Shire, Martin Weber, and Dr. D. D. Roberts were elected elders. A building committee was appointed with A. E. Shire as chairman. The Christian Church of Nash was dedicated November 13, 1910.

The preachers often came for Sunday dinner with the Shires; in summer, for homemade ice cream and watermelon, to play croquet or nap in the hammock in the grove. Phillips University professors came in the fall for quail hunting and to eat the delicious "quail bake which Mrs. Shire prepared. The women's missionary society was called "The Earnest Workers." One of the two Shire daughters was named Clara Ernestine, after this group.

Doctors came to the home to deliver babies. Mr. Moorman drove out with horse and buggy, fording the Salt Fork, to deliver Lucy. Likewise, Dr. D. D. Roberts delivered Clara Ernestine, Glynn and Durward.
Mr. Shire became assessor of Coldwater Township, which is now two townships. He traveled by horse and buggy, from farm to farm.

Eagle Grove School was another priority. Mr. Shire served on the School Board and offered his home for teachers. Of the eight Shire children, seven attended college. Of E. A. Shire's family, fourteen are educators. Some Eagle Grove teachers were Lee Walden, Jessie Deal, Velma Hanan, and Lilly Swanson Roseberry.
Fairview School was next for the Shires, as they moved to wheat country east of Jefferson. This school had the first six grades in one room and the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th in another. Some teachers were Ida Ernest Parrett, Ray Lawless and Mahlen Estes.

In summer the big boys helped with wheat heading and stacking, or wheat binding and shocking, before the big threshing machine came along to thresh the wheat. The large "Cook Shack" came with the threshing machine. Then it was time for plowing and sowing again.

Paul and other neighborhood young men were drafted into World War I. November 11, 1918 was a great day of celebration in Medford when the effigy of the Kaiser was burned.

In 1919 the Shires moved to Wellington, Kansas. Later they lived in California.

Mrs. Shire, always an activist for the right, helped secure the 19th amendment, women's right to vote, 1920; and the 18th amendment which gave us prohibition of the narcotic drug, alcohol. On election days she worked at the polls. Alfred Landon's presidential campaign song was written by Mrs. Shire. She wrote for publication, participated in the Poetry Club, Writers' Club, Woman's Christian Temperance Union, Daughters of the Union Veterans (her father died from Civil War injuries), and the Christian Church. Both Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Shire contributed much to the Christian, cultural, and political life in Grant County. They taught their children to respect the flag and fervently love their great and glorious country. Mrs. Shire died at age 76, 1952, and Mr. Shire at age 971/2, 1964, at Lucy's (Mrs. Harry Adams) home in Enid, Oklahoma.

From Lowell Shire 
Family F101
 
104 Earl Russell Peterson, 85, passed away in the Grand Itasca Hospital on Thursday, Feb. 18, 2010. He was born Jan. 21, 1925, in Duluth, Minn., to Gustav and Selma Peterson. Earl attended Proctor schools and graduated from Hermantown High School in 1943. Earl was a World War II United States Army veteran and recipient of the Purple Heart medal while serving in France and Germany. He married Arlene Pederson Sept. 1, 1946, and they enjoyed 63 years of marriage.

Earl worked as a farmer and for St. Louis County in the County Tool Shed. He was a former member of the American Legion and VFW in West Duluth. Earl and Arlene loved family traditions of both Swedish and Norwegian decent and he was artistic making things out of wood and drawing Swedish trolls. His work shop was organized to perfection and he always made good use of his days working outdoors. He would work from dawn to dusk on farm chores, milking cows, growing vegetable gardens and huge potato fields, and gathering hay for winter months. He enjoyed spending time with his boys and fishing.

A special thank you from Earl's family to the staff of Evergreen Terrace and Grand Itasca Hospital both of Grand Rapids, Minn.

Earl was preceded in death by his son Darryl in 2003, brothers Rudolph and Floyd, and sister Margaret.

Survivors include his wife, Arlene of Midway Township; son Dale of Rapid City, S.D.; six grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews including Darlene Dower who assists the family with many tasks.

Funeral services were held Monday, Feb. 22, at 10:30 a.m. with visitation one hour prior to the service at Sunrise Funeral Home in Duluth. Pastor Dennis Morreim officiated and entombment was in Sunrise Memorial Mausoleum and Cemetery. Lunch and fellowship followed services at the Proctor Moose Lodge. 
Peterson, Earl Russell (P2378282709)
 
105 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Living (I204)
 
106 Elizabeth Cheuvront
http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=document&guid=be9d9293-2851-4f1d-ba8f-e18e7908c5d4&tid=1108550&pid=-1956568345 
Cheuvront, Anna Maria Elizabeth (P2338398951)
 
107 Estate Appraisal
http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=image&guid=5fc0250c-3a63-4598-893c-b384016709ee&tid=1108550&pid=-1928019586 
Kirby, Rollin G (P2366947710)
 
108 ESTATE APPRAISAL

The estate of Samuel Maddox was appraised March 25, 1685, ammounting to a total value of 162 pounds,14 shillings, 7 pence. 
Maddox, Samuel (P2337279622)
 
109 ESTATE APPRAISAL

The inventory of estate of Notley Maddox, late of St. mary's County, was reported June 1, 1716 and appraised at 161 pounds, 10 shillings, 7 and 1/2 pence. (See Inventory and Account Book 37, 1716-1717, folio 167, Hall of Records, Annapolis). 
Maddox, Notley (P2337279609)
 
110 Evelyn M. Abrahamson died on Friday, November 11, 2011 at the Cook Hospital at the age of 90 years, six months, and 30 days.

Evelyn Marie (Johnson) Abrahamson was born in Duluth on April 12, 1921 to Carl Oscar and Mary Augusta (Kamb) Johnson. She attended school in Duluth and graduated from Denfeld High School in 1939. Sometime after high school, she worked in the office of Nelson-Peterson in Duluth where she met her future husband, Donald (Ole) Abrahamson. They were united in marriage on July 6, 1946 in Duluth and moved to Orr where they started a family. A son, Donald Jr. was born on July 6, 1947, their first anniversary. A second son, Larry, died at birth in 1952. Their third child, Kevin, was born September 4, 1957.

Evelyn spent most of her married life as a devoted wife and mother, but for a time was employed as Secretary of the Orr School under Principal Herman Kiland. She also worked part-time in the grocery store that she and her husband owned for thirteen years in Orr. Evelyn loved to cook and bake and was known for her cakes, bars, and especially her Swedish Tea Ring. African Violets were her favorite plants to grow and at one time she had 14 separate plants growing among her other indoor plants. In her younger years, she occasionally enjoyed hunting and fishing. She was an immaculate housekeeper who dusted almost daily?even her stove. Evelyn liked shopping with friends and in retirement had the habit of taking weekly trips to the mall or elsewhere with her husband to shop and have lunch. Although she was thin and appeared frail for most of her adult life, Evelyn possessed an inner strength (or stubbornness) that kept her going all these years.

Evelyn and Ole lived in Orr for over 50 years and moved to Cook approximately fifteen years ago to be closer to church and health services. Evelyn was a member of Calvary Lutheran Church in Orr for over forty years and was active in church circles and activities. For the past fifteen or more years, she was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church in Cook. She and her husband volunteered for a number of years at the Cook Nursing Home.

She was preceded in death by her husband of 62 years, Donald (Ole) in 2008; two sons, Donald Jr. in 1968, and Larry, at birth in 1952; her parents; two sisters, Gladys Peterson and Ruby Kari.

Funeral services will be 1:00 p.m. Tuesday (Nov. 15th) at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Cook. Rev. Arthur Dale will be the officiant. Visitation will be 5 to 7 p.m. Monday at Mlaker Funeral Home and will continue one hour prior to the service at the church. Casket bearers will be: Gail Bergman, Debbie Lenzen, Richard "Dick" Hansen, Robert "Bob" Hansen, Tony Vukelich and Jerry Myre. Honorary bearers will be nieces, nephews and Reese Jensen. Interment will be in Park Hill Cemetery in Duluth. Blessed be her memory. 
Johnson, Evelyn Marie (P2377227344)
 
111 Evelyn's Alzheimer's Disease progressed rapidly in 1997-98-99 and was admitted to a Special Care Unit in a Nursing Home at Neodesha, Kansas June 18, 1999. Her condition worsened during the time in the Nursing Home. In December 1999, she fell several times injuring her head and then developed Pneumonia and was hospitalized for a week and never completely recovered after she was returned to the Nursing Home. About January 18, she became Comatose and was hospitalized in the Fredonia Hospital. She never recovered or responded. She passed away about 8:30 AM on January 27, 2000 in the Fredonia Hospital. Her Funeral was held at the First United Methodist Church in Fredonia on January 31, 2000. The Funeral was planned as a celebration of her life with family and many friends attending. She is buried in the Family Plot in the Fredonia City Cemetery. She is greatly missed by her husband of 58 years and one month and her two sons and 6 grandchildren and many other family and friends. Evelyn was a person of many talents before the onset of the Alzheimer's.

From Lowell Shire 
Plunkett, Evelyn Grace (I47)
 
112 Excerpt from: A History and Biographical Cyclopaedia of Butler County, Ohio

S.C. MILLER, the only son of John MILLER and Sarah CROUCH, was born in Washington County, PA, Mar 6 1816. His parents were from PA and MD and of Irish and German descent. His parents removed to Brookville, Franklin County, IN, about 1818, remaining there some 8 years. They afterwards removed to Liberty, Union County, IN where he went to the common schools. The house where he attended was of rude logs, paper windows, and puncheon seats, with fewer desks than scholars. Liberty was a very small town and was not yet the County seat. Mr. MILLER was apprenticed to the carpenter's trade, in which he served 7 years and came with his employer, who had a contract here, to Butler County in 1832. During 1837 and 1838 he was a resident of Mason, Warren County, doing a prosperous business.

Dec 11, 1839 he was married to Drusilla BURCH, daughter of Ebenezer and Clarissa BURCH, early settlers of Warren County. She was born Jun 23, 1821. Mr. and Mrs. MILLER are the parents of 13 children, of whom 7 are living, 3 daughters and 4 sons. James A. Was born Nov 2, 1839 and is now engaged in business with his father. Jared P. was born Jul 24, 1842. He was a member of the 69th Volunteers, enlisting in 1861, and participating in all the battles of the regiment and making the march to the sea under Sherman. He was mustered out at Savannah, GA in Dec 1864. He is now a farmer of Union Township. George W., the third son, was born Dec 9, 1847 and lives at home. William A. was born Oct 1, 1849. He is at home. Phebe Cordelia was born Oct 31, 1851, and is now the wife of S.C. RHOADS, a resident of Kansas, IL. Mary J. was born Oct 16, 1853 and Ella D., Apr 21, 1862. Both are at home.

In the spring of 1840 Mr. MILLER built the present family residence, a handsome and commodious house. He is yet engaged in the business of carpenter and joiner, for the past 8 or 10 years conducting it in partnership with his son. He is a successful business man, and has erected more of the fine residences in Union Township than any other man. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at Westchester. In 1861 Mr. MILLER enlisted in the 69th Ohio Volunteers, and with that regiment participated in numerous engagements. At Stone River he was wounded and taken prisoner, going to Libby Prison and after a short experience there was paroled. From there he went to the hospital at Annapolis, MD and after his health was sufficiently recruited returned to this regiment at Murfreesboro. He was at Chattanooga, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain and Mission Ridge and was then transferred to the 19th Regiment Veteran Reserve Corps and sent to Elmira, NY where he was mustered out. Returning from the war, he resumed his former occupation. He had suffered many privations during the early days of enlistment, as they were often cut off from supplies. His health became permanently injured by standing on picket on the night of Dec 31, 1864, near Chattanooga. It was a terribly cold night. 
Miller, Samuel C (I560)
 
113 Extracted from: http://dcoweb.org/church/OldChapel.htm

Darke County deed records confirm this history of the Old Chapel. Jonathan Byrd, brother of Magdalena Huddle, was one of the two trustees of the United Brethren Church listed in the June 14, 1851 deed for the land on which the Old Chapel was built (Darke County Deed Book W-1 Page 338). "Know all men by these presents that Zachariah Marker of the County of Darke and in consideration of five dollars in hand paid by Jacob Shire and Jonathan Byrd, as Trustees of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ, hath bargained and sold and doth herby grant, bargain, sell, and convey unto the said Jacob Shire & Jonathan Bird as such trustees and to their associates and successors in office, forever, for the use of the said church, the following premises. Situate in said county of Darke and described as follows: a part of the south half of the southwest quarter of the SE quarter of Section No. thirty six (36) of Township eleven (11), Range three (3) E, beginning on the Township line between Adams & Wayne at the corner of the road leading from Ithaca to Jacksonville. Then east five rods, thence north five rods, thence west then rods, thence south five rods, thence east five rods to the beginning, making fifty square rods. To have and hold the said premises with the appurtenances unto the said trustees, their associates and successors in office forever, for the use and benefit of the said Church of the United Brethren in Christ." James Bayman and Levi Huddle were both involved in the sale of the land after the Old Chapel was abandoned. On March 9, 1876, "George Sellers, James Bayman, and David Warvel, Trustees of the United Brethren Church in Christ called the Bethel Chapel" sold the land to Levi Huddle for $21 (Darke County Deed Book 71 Page 282).

 
Shire, Jacob (P2308090792)
 
114 Family bible states marriage took place in Paris, Edgar County, Illinois by Rev. Newel. Marriage date not listed in bible. Cannot find source for date. Family F169
 
115 Family lore says that Antonette worked for a time in La Crosse, Wisconsin, probably as a housemaid. It is said that this is where she met future husband Carl Liljequist. Census record showing "Annie Burd" is the closest match yet found. Engebretsdatter Baardseth, Antonette (P2312668561)
 
116 Family migrated to Illinois Oct 1864 (Sarah Catherine's obituary) Pulver, Kittie A (I830)
 
117 Find-a-Grave: Evaline Knicely (1834-1908) Burch, Eveline (I597)
 
118 Frank Henry Burt
http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=image&guid=eeae0976-4197-4171-b08b-ac9aab34cfaf&tid=1108550&pid=-1908479958 
Burt, Frank Henry (P2386487338)
 
119 From "History of Trempealeau County" page 302:

"...Mr. Hammer was married Nov. 7, 1885, to Lena Trondson, who was born in Trempealeau County, Wis., daughter of Anders and Agnethe Trondson. Her parents were both natives of that province in Norway in which Mr. Hammer was born. After coming to the United States they lived for some years in Trempealeau County, Wis., later moving to Duel County, South Dakota, where, after a number of years spent in farming, he died. His wife also died in that county.
Tronsen, Anders (P2370680177)
 
120 From "History of Trempealeau County"

Ludwig N Hammer, secretary and treasurer of the Hammer-Enghagen Company, conducting a general mercantile business in Galesville, was born in Heedmarken, Norway, Jan. 26, 1857, son of Nels Burson and Thrine Hammer. Both parents died in their native land, where the father followed the occupation of millwright. Ludwig N. was the sixth born in a family of eight children and attended both common and high school in Norway. Remaining with his parents until he was 16 years old, he then left home and for some years worked at different occupations, chiefly as clerk in stores. At the age of 23 he left Norway for the United States, locating in Frenchville, Wis., in 1879. In 1881 he came to Galesville as clerk for Wilson-Davis, and remained in their employ until 1889, when he became associated with W.H. Jordan. In 1895 Mr. Jordan sold his interest to Mr. Enghagen, since which time the business was conducted under the style of Hammer & Enghagen. The firm moved into their present quarters in the spring of 1916. They carry a large stock of goods and enjoy a wide and growing patronage. Feb. 15, 1917, the firm incorporated as Hammer-Enghagen Company, with a $50,000 capital. The officers are: P.J. Enghagen, president; Carl Svensen, vice-president; L.M. Hammer, secretary and treasurer. Mr. Hammer is a stockholder and director in the Bank of Galesville, and also owns business and residence property in the village. He was president of the Business Men's Association for a number of years and is at the present time one of its trustees. He is also a member of the board of trustees of Gale College and has served on the village council several terms. In politics he is an independent Republican, supporting his party at national elections, but exercising his own discretion on other occasions. Mr. Hammer was married Nov. 7, 1885, to Lena Trondson, who was born in Trempealeau County, Wis., daughter of Anders and Agnethe Trondson. Her parents were both natives of that province in Norway in which Mr. Hammer was born. After coming to the United States they lived for some years in Trempealeau County, Wis., later moving to Duel County, South Dakota, where, after a number of years spent in farming, he died. His wife also died in that county. Mr. and Mrs. hammer have had seven children, of whom two, Nora and Arthur, are deceased. The survivors are: Joseph, a bookkeeper in the Bank of Galesville; Hulda, who is engaged in teaching; Margaret, residing at home, who is a graduate of the high school class of 1916; and Ruth and Rolf, who are attending school. The family are affiliated religiously with the Lutheran church. 
Hammer, Ludwig N (I1747)
 
121 From "Howard Genealogy - A Genealogical Record" by Jarvis Cutler Howard

Austin, their son, remained in Bainbridge till he was about twenty-eight years old, when he went to Wis. From there he started overland with an ox team for California, and died on Beaver River, near Salt Lake City. Date not known. He was unmarried.

 
Howard, Austin (I1486)
 
122 From "Howard Genealogy - A Genealogical Record" by Jarvis Cutler Howard

Clarissa, their daughter, married William Russell of Russell, Geauga Co., Ohio, where they resided several years, and where her two sons and three daughters were born. They afterwards moved to Hartland, Waukesha Co., Wis., where she died in 1876.

 
Howard, Clarissa (I1467)
 
123 From "Howard Genealogy - A Genealogical Record" by Jarvis Cutler Howard

He was a saddler and harness-maker by trade, and also followed farming considerably as an occupation.

 
Howard, Artemas (I1465)
 
124 From "Howard Genealogy - A Genealogical Record" by Jarvis Cutler Howard

Lucinda, married in 1821, Jonathan Ely, of Bainbridge, Geauga Co., Ohio, where she died July 9, 1877. She had three children.

 
Howard, Lucinda (I1482)
 
125 From "Howard Genealogy - A Genealogical Record" by Jarvis Cutler Howard

Marilla, the youngest child, married on 10 Nov 1849 Josiah Nettleton of Bainbridge. They had no children. She died Oct 6, 1850.

 
Howard, Marilla (I1501)
 
126 From "Howard Genealogy - A Genealogical Record" by Jarvis Cutler Howard

Mr. John Howard, Jr., appears to have learned and followed the occupation of his father, though he never prospered greatly financially. He was at heart a worthy man. He and his wife united in full communion with the First Church in Pomfret, Conn., Nov. 4, 1764, and their children, born in Pomfret, were batpized there. Nov. 11, 1767, he and his wife were recommended to the church in Monson, Mass., where they resided some ten years. Four of their children were born and baptized there. They then returned to Pomfret for a time. They afterwards removed to Somers, Conn., and united with the church there by letter from the church in Monson, Aug. 6, 1787. Subsequently they are mentioned as residing in Middlebury, Vt., but soon returned to Connecticut, and about 1800 they moved to Paris, Oneida Co., N.Y., since called Sauquoit, where they passed the remaining years of their lives with their son Joseph. His name heads the list of members of the church first organized in Sauquoit.

 
Howard, John Jr (I1503)
 
127 From "Howard Genealogy - A Genealogical Record" by Jarvis Cutler Howard

Mr. John Howard, Sr., was a tanner and currier by trade, having learned the business in Ipswich, where he carried it on for himself, as he did afterwards in Pomfret, Conn., to which place he moved between 1741 and 1747. He located, probably, some little north of the present principal street in Pomfret. The precise spot has not been traced, as the deed seems not to have been recorded. In May, 1777, he sold his lands, with dwelling, barn, shops, etc., to his son William, and soon after removed to Somers, Conn., where he died. He was buried in the North Burying Ground, where large, red sandstone monuments mark the graves of himself and wife. He was a man of industry, integrity, and sterling worth. He united with the First Church in Pomfret, in Jan., 1758, his wife having removed her relation from the First Church in Ipswich, which she joined Dec. 27, 1741. His death occurred without warning. The sermon preached at his funeral by his pastor, Rev. Charles Backus, was afterward published by request of the family. In a note attached, the writer says, "Mr. Howard had returned from abroad to his house just before his death. After warming himself by the fire, he arose from his chair and walked towards the window in the same room, fell down in the middle of the floor, and was taken up dead. He died, probably, from the bursting of some large vessel. A sorrowful widow and seven children lament their loss of a kind husband and tender father. He was a member of the church in this place, and of a sober life. His tempter was remarkable for benevolence and hospitality. All who knew him admired his faithfulness and integrity in his profession, and conduct among mankind. He was sincerely beloved by all his neighbors and acquaintances, by whom his death is much lamented."

 
Howard, John (I1513)
 
128 From "Howard Genealogy - A Genealogical Record" by Jarvis Cutler Howard

Ruby, married on March 10, 1837, Alonzo Ely of Bainbridge, Ohio, where she died May 10, 1863, leaving one son and one daughter.

 
Howard, Ruby (I1487)
 
129 From "Howard Genealogy - A Genealogical Record" by Jarvis Cutler Howard - 1884

ARTEMAS HOWARD, s. William R. and Martha (Codding) Howard, b. March 18, 1822, in Bainbridge, Ohio, d. there Aug 25, 1873, and

AMANDA CHILDS, da. Jonas H. and Lydia (Kingsley) Childs of Becket, Mass., b. June 10, 1823, in Bainbridge, Ohio, d. in Bainbridge, Oct. 12, 1877, m. Sept. 10, 1846, in Bainbridge.

CHILDREN

ARTEMAS JR., b. Mar 15, 1852, in Bainbridge, Ohio.
EUNICE, b. Sept. 9, 1859, " "

Artemus Howard is remembered as a very resolute, industrious farmer, and had accumulated quite a fortune before he died.
Eunice, his daughter, married on June 10, 1873, C.S. Sanderson of Windham, Portage Co., Ohio. They reside in Beaver, Crawford Co., Pa., and have three children.

 
Howard, Artemas (P2330055969)
 
130 From "Howard Genealogy - A Genealogical Record" by Jarvis Cutler Howard 1884

Philena, their eldest daughter, married on May 5, 1848, William Richards, a farmer and prominent citizen of Chardon, Geauga Co., Ohio, where they lived several years. They have since settled in Auburn, in the same county, their present residence.

 
Howard, Philena (I1390)
 
131 From "Howard Genealogy - A Genealogical Record" by Jarvis Cutler Howard 1884

The enterprising traits in William R. Howard's character early developed themselves. In 1818, in company with a companion, both unmarried, he pushed off from Berkshire Co., Mass., for Ohio on foot, and worked till the death of this father, the last of the following year, when he returned to Washington by the same conveyance that took him away; settled his father's estate, married, and on the 3d July, 1821, with his wife, his mother, brother, and three sisters returned to his farm in Bainbridge. He soon became one of the most prominent citizens of that place. For four years, 1828 to 1832, he was a member of the Board of Trustees of that township. In 1840 he was elected a Justice of the Peach, which office he filled very creditably for three terms, of three years each. He was an active Christian man, and a member of the M.E. Church for many years before his death. It is a coincidence worthy of notice that the birth of Mr. Howard and of his wife occurred on the same day, and it is said within two hours of each other.

 
Howard, William Russell (I1388)
 
132 From "Past and Present of Macomb County, Michigan" by Robert F Eldredge

[profile of Edward R Sanderson; page 268]

The family was established in the new world in colonial days and his grandfather, Elnathan Sanderson, was born in Massachusetts in the year which gave birth to the American republic - the year in which the Declaration of Independence was signed. He was the youngest in a family of fourteen children and in 1806 he removed from the old Bay state to New York, settling in Herkimer county.

 
Sanderson, Elnathan (I1529)
 
133 From "Pioneer and General History of Geauga County"

In 1849 Mr. Nettleton married Marilla Howard, who died a year subsequent to her marriage. After the death of his second wife, Mr. Nettleton married Lucy Ann Worrallo, of Chester.

 
Howard, Marilla (I1501)
 
134 From "Pioneer and General History of Geauga County" The Historical Society of Geauga County, 1880

For many years he took an active part in the business of the township, served in its various offices, and was three times elected to the office of justice of the peace. He was an intelligent, public spirited man, respected by all. He was an attendant of the Congregational church till it ceased to be, when, with his family, he united with the Methodist Episcopal church. His wife survives him, honored and loved.* She is now (1878) in her eighty-third year. They were parents of four children. Artemas, the eldest, married Amanda, daughter of Deacon Childs, and settled near the old home, where he resided till his death, in 1873. He was a man of superior judgment, and regarded as one of the best financiers in the township. His wife died in 1877. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Phylena, eldest daughter of W.R. Howard, married Wm. Richards, and resides in Auburn. The second son, William married Lorinda A. Osborn, and, at present, resides in Chardon. Martha married D.L. Fenkell, and settled at Chagrin Fall, where she died, in 1870, aged twenty-four years. She was a member of the Baptist church. At the birth of her youngest child, Mrs. Howard was fifty years and six months old.

*Mrs. Howard died at the residence of her son-in-law, Wm. Richards, esq., on the twelfth of May, 1879; aged eight-two years and eight months.

 
Howard, William Russell (I1388)
 
135 From "Pioneer and General History of Geauga County" The Historical Society of Geauga County, 1880

WILLIAM HOWARD, Auditor of Geauga county, was born in Bainbridge, Geauga county, November 7, 1833. His father, William R. Howard, of Washington, Berkshire county, Massachusetts, with Martha, his wife, removed to Bainbridge, Geauga county, Ohio, in the year 1821, where his aged and estimable widow now resides. The subject of this sketch, in early youth, evinced a desire for an education, and availed himself of the opportunities offered by the common schools for obtaing the same, supplemented by a few terms at a select school in the township and one at Oberlin. When his school days were ended, he continued to study and improve his mind, while engaged in labor upon his farm. He was married October 8, 1856, to Miss Lorinda A. Osborn, who for several years had been an efficient teacher in the schools of the county, and one of the most estimable young ladies in the township. In 1860 Mr. Howard had prepared himself for the study of medicine, and procured books for that purpose, but circumstances, beyond his control, seemed to render his immediately entering upon the study, impracticable, and he reluctantly abandoned his purpose to engage in that profession. he served a number of years as township clerk, and in 1870 was elected justice of the peace, in which office he served till elected to his present position, in the fall of 1877. For nearly twenty years he has taken a deep interest in matters of religion, and has for some years been a member of an Evangelical church, though utterly opposed to the narrow spirit of sectarianism, which characterizes many. In politics he has been a staunch Republican since the organization of the party, and has ever been an earnest advocate of, and worker in, the temperance cause, and all reforms which tend to elevate mankind. He is a man of uncompromising integrity, superior judgment and excellent business capacity. By strict adherence to his convictions of right he has won the confidence and esteem of the community, and has promise of many years of useful and honorable life.

 
Howard, William (I1416)
 
136 From "Pioneer and General History of Geauga County" The Historical Society of Geauga County, 1880

William, fourth son of Austin Richards, was born in Auburn, and in 1850 married Philena Howard, daughter of William R. Howard, of Bainbridge. They had four children - Austin H., M. Emerette, Alta D. Ettie, and William. M.Emerette died at the age of eight years, and William died in infancy. Mr. Richards settled near the center of Chardon, in 1850, and remained there until 1869, when he returned to Auburn, and purchased the farm formerly owned by Hiram Brewster, and now resides at that place. During his residence in Chardon he was elected justice of the peace, and served three terms in succession.

Austin H., only son of William Richards, married Miss Ellen Johnson, of Mentor, Ohio. They have one child, a daughter and reside in Kansas.

Alta D. Ettie is unmarried. She resides at home, and follows teaching school.

 
Richards, William (I1391)
 
137 From "Pioneer and General History of Geauga County"...1880

The next arrival in the township, after that of the Henrys, was that of Jonas H. Childs, afterwards know as Deacon Childs. He was born in Becket, Berkshire county, Massachusetts, February 18, 1791; was married to Lydia Kingsley, of the same place, in 1811. In 1812 he was drafted into the army, and went to Boston; was soon discharge and returned home. In 1816 he visited Ohio, making most of the journey on foot, and returning in the same way. While here he purchased land from E. Wadsworth, in lot fifteen, tract two, to which he removed his family, in the winter of 1818. The family consisted of himself, wife and two boys, the eldest about three years old. Four children were born after their settlement in Bainbridge. On their arrival here they occupied the house of Enos Kingsley (a half brother of Mrs. Childs)while a cabin was being built on their place, to which they removed in the spring, and occupied several years, when a large brick house was erected on the corners nearly opposite the residence of C.S. Sanderson, where they resided until the marriage and removal from home of all their children. Being left alone, and unable to do the work of the farm, Mr. Childs, in 1852, sold to Artemus Howard and removed to the center of the township, where he resided about fifteen years, when he went to live with his daughter, Mrs. A. Howard, on the homestead where Mrs. Childs died, August 4, 1868. Two years later, he went to Kirtland to live with his youngest son, where he died, March 18, 1875, at the age of eighty-four. He was a worthy member of the Congregational church about fifty-six years, and many years held the office of deacon. Jonas Milton, the eldest son, married Charlotte Beckwith, and settled in Russell where he now resides. Albert H. was married, in 1842, to Maranda Ely. They have four children. Mrs. Childs died in 1872, in Bainbridge where the family reside. Stephen, third son of Jonas Childs, married Nancy Warren, in 1841. Alanson married Charlotte Kingsbury, by whom he had two children. She died in 1860, and he married Sarah Walters, of Russell; they now live in Michigan. Amanda married Artemas Howard in 1846. They were parents of two children, and resided in Bainbridge till their demise. Abigail, second daughter of Jonas Childs, married Thedore Burgess, in 1846. They reside in Cleveland.

 
Childs, Jonas Henry (I1279)
 
138 From "The Brenneman History"

ADAM BRENNEMAN, b. about 1733 in Conestoga Twp., Lancaster Co., Pa., d. in Donegal Twp., Lancaster Co., in 1785, m. Magdalena ______ and had 7 ch.: Christian, John, Susanna, Adam, Barbara, Henry and Abraham. He and his brother, Rev. Melchior Breneman, 2d., settled in Donegal about 1757, where he received a 187-A. plantation from his father. To this he added 18 A. which was originally patented to Conrad Wolfe, but was sold by the latter to John Diller and wife Mary of Earl Twp., who in turn sold it to Adam. From the administration of his estate we learn that he left both these tracts at his death, and was financially well-to-do.

 
Brenneman, Adam (P2413812758)
 
139 From "The Brenneman History" :

ABRAHAM BRENEMAN, b. 7-22-1776, d. 10-27-1821, m. Sarah McCann, b. 9-9-1793, d. 12-25-1867, dtr. of _____ McCann and wife Elizabeth (1766-1797). He moved to Columbia, Pa., where he ran a hotel for many years. Six ch.: Adam, Christian, John, Elizabeth, Martha and Barbara.

 
Brenneman, Abraham (I1102)
 
140 From "The Brenneman History" :

ABRAM BRENEMAN, b. 7-2-1838, d. 12-2-1882, m. Sara Ann Ruble, b. 5-22-1840. 7 ch.

[Error note: Abram was born in 1828, not 1838]

 
Brenneman, Abram (I899)
 
141 From "The Brenneman History" :

BARBARA BRENEMAN, b. 9-14-1820, d. 12-13-1911, m. Thomas Simpson Black, b. 9-14-1807, d. 11-28-1870. They resided till after the Civil War on a farm in Union Co., Pa., then moved to St. Clair, Franklin Co., Mo. Buried at Lee's Summit, Mo. 12 ch.

 
Brenneman, Barbara (I1194)
 
142 From "The Brenneman History" :

CHRISTIAN BRENEMAN, b. 2-12-1812, d. 9-10-1878, m. Sarah Collins, b. 1810, d. 1892, dtr. of 'Squire James Collins and Jane Everlin. He was for some time superintendent of the old Henry Clay furnace along the Pennsylvania Canal between Columbia and Marietta. Later he moved to Columbia, where he engaged in the lime and limestone business, having quarries and kilns near what is now Chestnut St. and Chestnut Hill Pike. Just before the battle of Gettysburg in 1863, when the vanguard of the Confederate Army appeared on the York County hills above Wrightsville, Christian was one of the most prominent citizens of the town in taking measures for the general safety. Soldiers were quartered in his house, and on his property was stored the dynamite which was used to blow up the bridge across the river. he was very active in caring for Union refugees. Directly after the war he was elected chief burgess of his city. he was a mild-mannered man of keen native intelligence and very public-spirited.

The following obituary notice is taken from a contemporary paper:

"He was a member of the Society of Ancients - a highly respectable citizen and a person that took a deep interest in all our town affairs, serving for some time as Chief Burgess of Columbia. Issued a proclamation this very day, six years ago, offering a reward of $300 for Alfred Duey, alias "Cotton," for the murder of Benneville Goheen.

"The deceased was a son of Abraham Breneman, who kept a hotel on Walnut Street in the building now occupied by H.F. Bruner, and where deceased was born. In early life he was apprenticed to the shoemaker trade, and in later years was a foreman or boss on the Tidewater Canal, and held at other times similar positions. he was a positive man of sterling integrity and strict in all his habits, one who wished to deal squarely with all the world. his death is greatly regretted. Interment will take place tomorrow (Friday) afternoon at 2 o'clock in Mount Bethel Cemetery."

 
Brenneman, Christian (I1105)
 
143 From "The Brenneman History" :

David L. Black, b. in Montreal, Canada, 12-15-1844, d. 6-29-1911, m. Harriett Renner. 7 ch. Lived on a farm near St. Clair, Mo.

 
Black, David L (I1196)
 
144 From "The Brenneman History" :

EMILY BRENEMAN, b. 8-16-1845, never married. She resides with a nephew, Alfred Flury, in Lancaster, Pa.

 
Brenneman, Emily (I1112)
 
145 From "The Brenneman History" :

HERBERT BRENEMAN, m. Josephine Ganse. Chester Heights, Pa. He is a cartoonist.

 
Brenneman, Herbert (I1130)
 
146 From "The Brenneman History" :

Isabella Black,, b. at Marietta, Pa., 8-6-1846, d. at Daytona Beach, Fla., 11-27-1924, m. 2-1-1871 John Kerstetter, b. 4-28-1843 at Shamokin Dam, Snyder Co., Pa., d. 12-8-1922. They moved to La Porte City, Blackhawk Co., Ia., in the spring of 1871, and resided there the rest of their lives. 6 ch.

 
Black, Isabella (I1205)
 
147 From "The Brenneman History" :

JACOB BRENEMAN, b. near Maytown, Pa., 7-1-1809, d. 5-16-1882, m. 7-26-1855 at Middletown, Pa., Susan Murray, dtr. of Jacob Murray and Catharine Witmer. He was first a distiller, then ran the Black Horse Hotel at Harrisburg for 8 years, and finally the Valley House at Lewistown, Pa. Presbyterians. 3 ch.

 
Brenneman, Jacob (I1079)
 
148 From "The Brenneman History" :

JAY W. BRENEMAN, m. Pauline Grebner. 26 Chestnut St., Lewistown, Pa. Proprietor of the Breneman House, Lewistown.

 
Brenneman, Jay W (I1085)
 
149 From "The Brenneman History" :

John B. Kerstetter, b. 7-22-1879, m. Lena Witt. They lived at first on a farm near La Porte City, but now are retired from active work and live at Daytona Beach, Fla. No ch.

 
Kerstetter, John B (I1220)
 
150 From "The Brenneman History" :

JOHN BRENEMAN, b. 12-24-1895, m. Sara Rheam, who d. 2-11-1918. No ch.

[Error note: John DIED in 1895, NOT born]

 
Brenneman, John C (I1006)
 

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next»